What Makes a Strain Good for Cold Climates?
Whether you’re an outdoor grower living in a cooler climate or an indoor grower experiencing low temperatures in your grow space, this collection of cold-climate cannabis strains has something for everyone: from fast autoflowers and bushy Indicas to fruity hybrids of beloved classics. The quintessential strain for cold climates doesn’t allow its growth to be affected by plunging temperatures, features high mold and pest resistance, and has a relatively short flowering period. Here is some general information about the strains in this collection:
- Cold-resistant - Thanks to predominantly Indica and Ruderalis-based genetics, these outdoor seeds for cold climates are able to withstand night temperatures as low as 50°F (10°C) for weeks, and even night frosts for several nights in a row.
- Resilient - These strains, specially grown from cold climate autoflowering seeds, show increased resilience to other stress factors like wind, rain, and pests.
- Fast-flowering - Seeds in this collection were picked specifically to be able to reach full maturity even in places where the number of warm summer months a year doesn’t exceed 3 or 4.
- Potent - Cold-weather cannabis seeds naturally produce large amounts of resin as their defense mechanism, and the result is an increased concentration of cannabinoids and terpenes.
Cool Climate, Cooler Colors
One of the key benefits of growing cannabis in colder climates is the increased production of anthocyanins that paint your plant’s stems, leaves, and buds purple toward the end of the flowering stage. These purple hues vary in intensity from strain to strain due to a combination of genetics and environmental factors, and are contrasted by a dense layer of glistening white trichomes. This quality of cannabis seeds that grow in cold climates increases the value of the final product thanks to the undeniable bag appeal. This kind of bud just looks ten times tastier!
Cold Climate Cannabis Strains: How Cold is Too Cold?
Cold-weather autoflower and photoperiod Indica varieties are more resistant to low temperature conditions thanks to their inherited Ruderalis genes – the hardiest type of cannabis. However, critically low temperatures and frost will negatively affect cannabis no matter what family or category it belongs to. The best cold-climate cannabis seeds that we picked for this collection will be able to thrive in night temperatures as low as 50°F (10°C). Healthy plants will be also able to withstand a couple of nights of sudden frosts of 35°F (1°C). However, it’s better not to risk it. Here are some tips:
- When buying cannabis seeds for the cold climate, be sure to plan your grow and pick strains that will be able to finish before low temperatures normally settle in your area.
- Start your grow indoors when it’s still too cold to bring your plant outdoors. This way, you’ll win some time and your plant will finish on time.
What Regions are Cold-Resistant Cannabis Seeds for?
Some varieties of cannabis can grow and bear abundantly in northern latitudes and those close to them, where the warm summer period lasts no more than three or four months. Most places in Europe, Canada, and the U.S. are considered quite “cold” for cannabis, so the best choice for outdoor growing in these locations would be Indicas, autoflowers, and fast-flowering strains from this collection. If average temperatures already drop to around 50°F (10°C) in October, or especially September, you’ll definitely need a fast and resilient strain to bring your grow op to fruition! The same can be said of the best cannabis seeds for the UK climate – they’re all in this collection, as Great Britain is known for cool and even frosty autumns. Weed seeds from this collection can also be used to grow cannabis in areas with high altitudes and related unfavorable climatic conditions.
Cold Climate Cannabis Strains: How About Indoor Growing?
These seeds are more than suitable for indoor growing! They’re ideal for growing indoors in grow boxes that are located in unheated or poorly heated rooms during cold weather periods. Such places include but aren’t limited to garages, balconies, barns, and warehouses.
Moreover, seeds from this collection are fast and compact, which is a great set of qualities for a discreet indoor grow.
Best Cannabis Seeds for Cold Climates at Herbies
Here at Herbies, we’ve combed through our extensive cannabis seed library and handpicked the best cannabis strains for cold climates. This is the only source of seeds you’ll need to grow weed in areas with cold weather or in unheated grow rooms. And don’t forget that each order from Herbies comes with at least one free seed depending on the size of your order!